Each owner wants his chickens grow faster, better and carried more eggs. Often, however, forget that this is only possible with good living conditions for birds in which she will feel comfortable. That’s why a mistake is the placement of chickens in barns and outbuildings. It is worth spending a bit of time and effort to create a suitable “house” and the result will not keep itself waiting. In the article we will focus on how to make winter chicken coop with their hands for 20 chickens.
- 1 Winter chicken coop with your own hands 20 chickens: what type of buildings to choose
- 1.1 construction of the warm henhouse with your own hands
- 2 How to build a warm chicken coop: selection of type of Foundation
- 2.1 How to make a pier Foundation: step by step instructions
- 3 How to make a chicken coop for the winter chickens: the choice of materials
- 4 How to insulate a chicken coop for the winter with your hands: the choice of insulation
- 5 the Choice of an optimum place for positioning the chicken coop on the site
- 6 the Construction of a chicken coop for 20 chickens with his own hands: drawings
- 7 Calculating size of chicken coop for 20 chickens
- 8 the construction of the walls of the house: technology and materials
- 9 the Ventilation in the coop in winter: a diagram and description
- 10 features of the internal finishing of the house
- 10.1 How to make the roosts, nests, waterers and feeders
- 11 Lighting the coop in the winter
- 12 Heated coop in the winter: features and options
- 12.1 electric heating a chicken coop for 20 chickens with his own hands: photo and description
- 12.2 Selection of infrared bulbs for heating chicken coop
- 13 How to heat a chicken coop in the winter without electricity
- 13.1 Heated coop in the winter with your hands using sawdust
- 14 Winter hen house: buy or build?
Winter chicken coop with your own hands 20 chickens: what type of buildings to choose
Some owners kept birds in the coop all year round, while others leave them in this separate building. only for the summer period. First of all, decide how you are going to do you, because the understanding of the temperature and the weather in General outside of the chicken coop will be important during construction.
Building a chicken coop with your own hands
Before you begin construction, you should choose the most suitable for the objectives, the type of coop, as well as to determine the necessary materials and make a detailed plan for the future of the house.
If you have started to build winter chicken coop with your own hands, first and foremost, take care of the insulation of the room – and then you can be sure that even in the cold on your table will be fresh eggs.
A useful tip! In the planning phase of construction will include the plan of the vestibule: its construction does not require much effort, but it can markedly reduce heat loss.
There are several types of buildings and selecting the appropriate option should proceed as your abilities and the area you are willing to take for the house, and the comfort of the inhabitants of the house. One of the best options is a coop with a yard – it consists of two parts and is the most comfortable for the birds, although it takes slightly more space than conventional poultry houses.
Two parts of this chicken coop:
- The interior.
- Patio, fenced grid.
In this embodiment the hen may sit inside or outside in the fresh air.
How to build a warm chicken coop: selection of type of Foundation
Foundation – the Foundation of any structure, that is why it is so important to immediately determine its type. First of all, it is necessary to carefully weigh the pros and cons of each option.
The advantages and disadvantages of different types of foundations for chicken coops:
Type фундаментаПреимуществаНедостаткиленточныйвысокий rate nainstalovana justified when building a house, but not in the construction of corticosteroidogenic and easy konstruktsiooniga reliability compared to tape parentalvideo reliability and simplicity of design: using modern screw piles, construction of the Foundation can easily handle two chelovekovedenija cost: pile Foundation cheaper tape, but more expensive stolbchatym to do a pier Foundation: step by step instructions
The most common choice is columnar Foundation: it does not require much ramasutra and effort, while ensuring reliability and stability of construction. We will understand how to make a basement:
- start with markup. To do this, take a rope and several long thin stick or metal rods;
- next, you need to put in the corners of the future building the pegs and pull the rope. Watch carefully so that the markup is smooth. The rope should be taut, but at the same time to travel along the top layer of the earth;
- inside the marked area dig a hole at 15-20 cm, remove the top layer of the earth;
- dig pits under bars. Their depth should be about 60-70 cm, and the width to match the settings of the two bricks, that is, to be approximately 50-55 cm Should maintain a distance between the pits in 1 m Cabinets, you need to install around the perimeter of the future chicken coop;
- after digging the pits, pull the bars another rope. It should be at the height of 20-25 cm above the ground. To ensure that the design is smooth and neat, use a level;
- you must put a small layer of sand on the bottom of each pit. The thickness of this layer should be 5-7 cm;
- then fill the same layer of gravel – the two layers function as a cushion for the future Foundation;
- on the bottom of the pit lay two bricks. Then to the same place cement mortar in proportion 1:3;
- across put two more bricks. Repeat steps until the height of the cabinets will reach the top of the rope;
- if the height of the column turned out to be insufficient, align it with cement;
- to protect the Foundation from the damaging effects of moisture, its basement part, be backfilled with gravel.
How to make a chicken coop for the winter chickens: the choice of materials
To ensure that the design is comfortable and durable, it is important to find the best appropriate materials. For the construction of the house you can use:
- the foam blocks;
- the cinder blocks.
Consider the features of the most popular materials:
- Foam blocks: not the budget, but comfortable for the birds option.
- Brick: the most durable material, the construction of which preserves the integrity and functionality for decades.
- Wood: the most popular solution, which is efficient, practical and durable in case of proper handling of the boards. In addition, this house looks stylish and will fit harmoniously into the landscape of any area.
The material for the Foundation is selected according to the following principles:
- For tables under the pier Foundation will fit any improvised material. Popular choices include the usual rock, or old or new brick.
- For production of strip Foundation used concrete. The frame is assembled from metal rebar, also the necessary components for the manufacture of concrete and mortar.
- Pile Foundation are doing with a special piles of reinforced concrete or metal. The most modern option is the metal screw piles are easily screwed into the ground, without the help of professionals.
How to insulate a chicken coop for the winter with your hands: the choice of insulation
Optimal material for thermal insulation of walls is the foam.
A useful tip! When laying the insulation will provide that the foam was closed, otherwise the chickens can peck at the material. Geese perceive the Styrofoam as food, so if your site contains these birds to take care of the closeness of the insulation must be especially careful.
If the coop consists of boards, don’t forget to put mineral wool between two layers.
How to heat a chicken coop in the winter, if you plan to keep it birds all year round will be considered below. As additional insulation, choose a concrete block, roll materials or coal slag.
An important part of the coop is the roof – its reliability will depend on the temperature inside the building. It is important that the roof had no cracks, and it does not leak. First of all, decide on your roofing material. This could be:
- corrugated sheet;
The type of material for roofing in the event the coop is not of great importance. The main purpose of roof is to prevent moisture inside of the house, so the main task is to correct the roof decking, to avoid leakage.
The choice of an optimum place for positioning the chicken coop on the site
To select the optimal choice for the coop, easy to build and comfortable for the chickens, follow the simple principles:
- in the valley, usually very wet in spring, the ground slowly dries out after snow melt and after rains there are puddles. Thus, it is better to place the house on the hill – in addition, there is convenient to walk chickens;
- birds love peace, so you should place the coop away from outdoor activities and noise sources;
- the health of birds is directly proportional to the amount of sunlight, so if possible, you should take care that the window faced South;
- overheating is harmful to birds, so in very hot weather is to shade the Windows;
- the coop should be placed near the dwellings of man, so you can regularly monitor the birds;
- place the poultry on a dry sandy soil. In the case of clay, soggy or just moist soil must drain it;
A useful tip! Use of drying channels or pits and subsequent backfilling them with sand. In the future you will be able to use the desiccant channels, ponds or pits for bathing chickens. Ideal for poultry – with an emphasis on the Southeast.
- make sure that your chosen for the construction of the house the area was protected from the cold winds – it is the best fit for planting in the form of shrubs and trees;
- near poultry house for hens should be suitable for walking the ground on which it is possible to shelter from the rain, piercing wind, scorching sun and other unpleasant weather phenomena;
- bathing chickens is to equip a small pond.
The choice of the location is one of the most important stages in the instructions on how to build winter chicken coop, because the wrong place and uncomfortable environment for birds affect their health. Birds become lethargic and painful, less rushing, also possible problems with the fertilization of the eggs. As a result, the coop brings less income.
Ensure that the conditions the chickens were balanced: high humidity and hoglets chickens become lethargic, and if in the heat under the scorching sun of chickens with no shelter in trees, bushes or other sources of shade, there is a risk of dehydration, threatening death to the birds.
A useful tip! It is not excluded that in the future you will need to increase the number of birds. So if possible, place the coop so that, if necessary, with him fit more buildings. Even if you have 20 chickens to provide eggs of the whole family, it is possible that in the future you decide to raise the birds for profit.
The construction of a chicken coop for 20 chickens with his own hands: drawings
Regardless of the type of house and materials for its construction, to understand how to build a warm chicken coop with your own hands, you need to make drawings. They should be detailed and include all dimensions. The drawing must be made in three projections.
As a result, you will be able to easily figure out how to make winter chicken coop for 20 chickens: drawings add clarity, allow us to calculate how many materials will you need, and help to avoid mistakes at the stage of construction of the house.
At the stage of creating the drawing, you must determine the type of roof. The best choice is the gable roof with attic – in this case, all necessary equipment, food, etc. you can store there without cluttering the living space and not taking up space in the henhouse. Less practical and comfortable, but has the right to life are shed roof or a flat roof.
Will also help for building a winter chicken coop for 20 chickens with their hands photos, drawings and design sketches found on the Internet.
The calculation of the size of chicken coop for 20 chickens
Two chickens in the house should have no less than 1 m2 space. Also, note that some will take place waterers, feeders and other auxiliary elements. Thus, in both the summer and winter version of the draft coop for 20 chickens should be a minimum of 15-20 m2 of space.
The advantages and disadvantages of these stores. Selection criteria design step-by-step installation with your own hands. Popular brands of cellars and their characteristics. Read more
The height of the coop shall not be less than 2 m to provide comfortable being in the room, not only birds, but also caring people.
Note that in a confined space birds feel uncomfortable, which can cause diseases. So sometimes it makes sense to sacrifice the number of livestock in favor of more comfortable conditions of accommodation of birds.
For example, 20 birds, placed in the chicken house 20 m2, will give more eggs than placed in the same square 30 chickens.
The construction of the walls of the house: technology and materials
If you build a chicken coop out of wood, for the construction of the walls should prefer frame technology. You’ll need load-bearing beams, boards or plywood. Make sure the insulation of the walls: it can be single or double.
Also, the walls are made from timber or logs. This option has several advantages: ready the building stores heat well and is durable and durable. As a result, the poultry will retain their operational characteristics.
In the case of brick walls the principle of construction is very simple. The main points – prepare a high quality solution, able to provide durability to the building, and do not forget to leave space for Windows and doors.
The ventilation in the coop in winter: a diagram and description
Ventilation plays an important role in the device the coop, because the fresh air the birds is very essential. A common misconception, if the house should be warm, suffocating air. In fact, the ventilation in the coop during winter is the key to healthy chickens, and to take care of this element is before you start construction of the roof.
To understand how to make ventilation in the coop, consider several options:
- It is best to make a couple of ventilation ducts. You should place them in different parts of the house. One end of the ventilation duct place at the level of the ceiling, and two below 0.5 m. Provide dampers in the ducts to easily influence the fresh air supply and temperature in the chicken coop in the winter.
- The second option is to make the ventilation in the hen house with your own hands – to be done in the floor holes. In winter they are shut down with traffic jams in the summer using gratings, which do not inhibit the fresh air. As a result, the house is always kept comfortable microclimate.
Features of the internal finishing of the house
No less important components for the comfort of chickens along with insulated walls and roof nephrotoma are internal elements of the house: drinkers, feeders, roosts and nests. Start birds to a new home is possible only after the equipping of a chicken coop everything you need.
How to make the roosts, nests, waterers and feeders
In order to build the roosts, you’ll need a bar:
- Select the lumber with a cross section of approximately 30 × 40 mm or a little thicker.
- Slightly round the top edge of the bar.
- Select in the chicken coop-go place.
- Attach the roosts. Please note that the distance between them should not exceed 30 cm from each other.
The optimal length of perch in the calculation of 20 chickens is not less than 6 m on all the perch. The calculation is very simple – so the birds are not crowded, each chicken should be at least 30 cm perch. To facilitate the cleaning of the house, place the trays the waste directly under the roost.
Sockets are open and closed. The best option is closed the nest, as these birds feel more secure. However, they are complicated in construction, and legal to do sockets open. The size of this nest must be at least 30×40 cm an Optimal material for nest is the tree best suited Board and plywood.
20 chickens enough ten nests. To ensure the chickens comfort line a rimmed bottom of a nest with sawdust or straw. Sawdust or hay should also pave the floor of the house only – so you will provide the chickens comfort and ease and speed of cleaning.
To avoid getting debris in feeders and drinkers for the birds, place them at some distance above the floor.
Lighting the chicken coop in the winter
In the summer the coop is easy to do without light. However, if the house you plan to use all year round, you’ll need light for chicken coop in winter. Conducting electricity and including a lamp from autumn to spring in the dark, you will prolong the hens day, which has positive impact on their activity.
It will require some energy, but they will be compensated year-round excellent health and good egg laying chickens.
A useful tip! Close the lamp lampshade, to avoid dusting and to protect her from getting hay or web.
Heated coop in the winter: features and options
To provide chickens a comfortable environment in any season and in any weather conditions, it is important to take care of the heating. The temperature in the winter chicken coop (the hens raced) should not fall below 0 in this case, laying hens are doing well and continue to give eggs.
Electric heated chicken coop for 20 chickens with his own hands: photo and description
In the case where the coop has electricity, there are two optimal ways of heating:
- an infrared lamp.
When choosing a heater, you should prefer a programmable model. They are more expensive, but in the end worth the money spent noticeable energy savings. As a result, during the winter you will pay less than with a device.
Adjustment of automatics is one of two principles:
In the case of the house should prefer the custom temperature option. It allows you to maintain this temperature, what should be in the coop during the winter.
For example, when the temperature in the house drops to 0°C, the device turns on, raises the temperature to 3°C, then automatically shuts off.
A useful tip! You can choose the settings of the heater. This option of heating is comfortable, practical and very effective.
Selection of infrared bulbs for heating chicken coop
Popular is the decision to buy an infrared lamp to heat the coop. The principle of operation of such a lamp to heat a chicken coop is fundamentally different from conventional devices: this type of heater does not affect the air in the room, and within the area of impact of the rays items.
The main thing is to place an infrared lamp for the chicken coop. They should be placed on the roosts, and a few to hang above the floor. Thus, in the case when the chickens getting cold, they gather in the area of the heaters. As a result, in General, the room can be kept cool temperature, but the birds will warm.
However, it is worth considering that the constant switching on and off red lamps for chicken coops quickly burn out. So try not to turn them off unnecessarily. This lamp can operate smoothly for months without requiring a shutdown. However, they do not require a lot of energy, so to worry about the bill of electricity is not necessary.
Please note that there are illuminating and infrared lamp for heating, chicken coops in winter. It is important not to confuse them if you decide to buy a heat lamp for chicken coop.
Note that in the process, the surface of the lamp is heated, and the design of the device is not designed for such loads. Find ceramic cartridges difficult, and the plastic holding the bulb is not very good.
A useful tip! Place the IR-lamp to heating the coop in a cage of wire. So you will provide fire safety, without reducing efficiency of the device. If the lamp accidentally falling out, there is no risk that the birds will be burnt, the lamp will be broken, and litter ignite.
There are also other possibilities, but they are noticeably inferior to the infra-red lamp. For example, the oil cooler is one of the most impractical ways to heat the house: it is characterized by a large consumption of electricity with a minimum amount of heat.
There are highly effective homemade heaters with open spiral, but they are of high Flammability. Considering that the chicken coop you regularly leave the appliance on without supervision, such a heater is an unnecessary risk.
How to heat a chicken coop in the winter without electricity
If in a house without electricity, or you want to save energy, you can find ways of heating the coop in winter without electricity.
One of them is stove and Central heating boiler. Easy but challenging and cumbersome option would be to conduct panels and the operation of the heating boiler. Options easier wood stove, wood burning boiler or a small brick stove, which is easy to upload your own.
The main thing – to hold the tube in the chicken coop, giving the maximum amount of heat. Iron stove or pipe for greater efficiency it is possible to impose with a brick. The heated bricks hold heat for a long time, and in the case of high-quality thermal insulation of the chicken coop, one firing is enough for 2 days comfortable temperature in the house.
Heated coop in the winter with your hands using sawdust
To achieve a comfortable plus temperature without additional heating in a coop you can use sawdust emitted during the decomposition heat. However, note that this option works only in the case of high-quality thermal insulation of buildings:
- sprinkle sawdust on the floor;
- the first layer is covered in autumn before the first frosts;
- the layer thickness should be 10-15 cm;
- leave a layer of 1-1,5 months.
This version of the bedding is superior in performance to the hay, because good regulation sawdust moisture, the chickens do not get sick. Moreover, the birds love to dig in the litter, and due to the constant movement even when you rarely exercise and good nutrition laying hens are not overly fattening.
After 30-50 days, add a new batch of sawdust: the need for adding a new layer visible in the mind of old sawdust and the smell. The thickness of the new layer should be about 10 cm After a time, repeat the procedure. As a result, by the end of the winter season in the hen house, a layer of sawdust thickness of about 50 cm.
Thanks to a layer of saws, even in cold weather the temperature in the house does not fall below 0°C, and burrowing in the litter, the chickens are in a comfortable mode of about 20°C. Birds dig holes and sit in them, sawdust is the successor, and the resulting reaction released a large amount of heat.
A useful tip! In the spring the entire sawdust mixture should be transported in a compost pit. After a short time you will receive excellent fertilizer.
Advance, even in the fall, is to fill the Board in front of the door – then the Mat, reaching his final thickness will not sleep through the door. It is somewhat difficult walking through the door, but eliminates the resulting draft.
Winter hen house: buy or build?
In the construction of a chicken coop yourself a lot of advantages: it is much cheaper, than to buy ready-made (25 thousand rubles and above), and most importantly, built with his own hands the house meets all the requirements and designed individually for your site. You can provide him the perfect spot, and even provide for the possibility of the expansion of the economy for the future.
However, sometimes it is better to buy winter chicken coop for 20 chickens: not everyone has the time and effort to design, selection of materials and construction of the house. In addition, it requires some experience. In this case it is better to buy a house, equipped with everything necessary than to keep the birds in unsuitable conditions or to build a chicken coop, not possessing the necessary means and skills.